Monday, August 30, 2010

Music City BBQ Fest

This past weekend, our BBq Team, Pignation competed in the Music City BBQ Fest. We typically do two competitions a year, Memphis in May being the first one. (Which we did fairly well at, may I add). Well, we didn't do as good this year at the Nasvhille Event. But we did have a great time, which is all that really matters. (to the cooks, maybe not!)

On Saturday Morning we headed back downtown for the main day. This is when the teams turn in their food for judging, and for a couple events, the judges come out to your tent and your team explains the method behind smoking, equipment used, where the meat comes from, etc. If you aren't that into this sort of thing, you would think these minor details don't matter. Some teams are overly secretive about setting up inside their tents, and they block everything off as if they have some unimaginable setup that no one has seen before. I think everyone was excited as well, because at 10am the morning of judging, our main smoker chef got the call that his wife's water broke, and he was off to the hospital within moments. (BTW, Congratulations Shane and Alix!!!)

Shane pulling out the ribs:



one of the judges with his turn in our tent:


Rob cooling himself on the ice packs on the kegs


Everyone hanging out after judging:




After work on Friday, I hopped on the 7:00 train downtown. Now....the commuter train we have here is nothing like Marta in Atlanta, where you have to carry a pistol on your side to feel like you'll get home alive. We've got an awesome double decker train here with a freight type engine, and I always enjoy riding it. What was even cooler was that I was allowed to ride in the engine on the way home. Rob had done this before, and I was always jealous. I'm a huge train nerd....and I'm sure my sister who builds model railroads wishes she was with me, but it was insanely awesome, in a very geeky, enjoyable way.



And I really hate to let you all down, but there's no workplace rant today. Now that I've jinxed that......

No comments:

Post a Comment