Friday, May 14, 2010

oh what a trip......

So I made it to Memphis. We won't say how long it took me.

I had the GPS and was supposed to pick up Rob downtown. Simple enough, right?

I also hate being directionally challenged. Because of this little fact, I ended up in Arkansas. I already knew it would happen due to my unbroken track record of getting lost in various cities at night and ending up in a rough part of town. Like last night when I asked Rob if I would get shot, and he casually told me 'no, you are in the city'. I wasn't quite in the city. I was in that part of the city where all the cars were on dubs and every liquor store had sketchy lighting and bars on the windows, and every store I passed just happened to be a liquor store with the usual suspects loitering out front. Thankfully I was out of that area somewhat quickly, and looked at the GPS to see the road I was on wasn't the one I was supposed to be on, but trusty Jill, showed me on a different road which zig zagged across the one I was on. (say what??)

So I ended up in Arkansas. Did a quick loop around at the first exit behind a tour bus that was doing the same thing I was. I believed in this tour bus driver when we went to get back onto the interstate to head back into the state I was supposed to be in, when he took another wrong turn. I look at my GPS 'East on ROAD' - wth....road? What, it has no name? Yeah - wrong way again, and with tour bus behind me, we finally got on the interstate with no signs leading up to it.

I finally found Rob wandering the streets of memphis with thousands of other people who had just gotten through with BBQ fest. I can only laugh at myself each time this happens, because I know what a disaster I am. Finding humor in my faults is the only way I can cope with my faults!

So it's a humid and overcast Friday morning and this afternoon we'll be heading back downtown for more BBQ and chaos. Pics to follow.

And on that note - Chinese Proverb quotes:

" Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without one."

1 comment:

  1. Never ever take a GPS into the mountains - they go nuts. Last years ours kept trying to convince us that we could drive straight through the mountain or to drive off a cliff. Good thing we stopped listening to it.

    ReplyDelete