Monday, September 20, 2010

Wine, Waterfalls, and 950 Miles Later....

It's been a little while since my last update. I made it through week 1 of not working, and I managed to keep myself fairly occupied. Now that I'm back from 4 days out, the routine of endless cleaning and laundry begins again.

I drove down to GA on Thursday to visit my parents for a few days, and on Friday I drove 2 hours south to the little town of Haddock to pick up Rob's new smoker. Whenever I drive to a place like that I wonder how people can live so far from well......everything. I love the country and the fresh air, but I don't think I could live on a dirt road 30+ minutes from the nearest grocery store. But I got to drive through Monticello, which is a neat and historic town, so I was grateful for the opportunity to see some old houses.....one of which had a garage sale. Apparently they aren't sure if it's actually on "Hilton St".



Saturday I was bored. I can't sit still for long, and with mom sewing, and dad working on the back deck, I got the urge to head up to North Georgia. When I was in my late teens, early 20's I practically lived up there on weekends. I was always off roading, hiking, or camping, but since I've gotten older, I rarely get the time to go back. I opted to go to Wolf Mountain Winery for a tasting, and then go to Dick's Creek Falls.

Wolf Mountain was absolutely beautiful. I haven't been to the other vineyards up in that area, but no doubt, this one needs to be on your winery tour list. Situated at the top of one of the mountains, and very steep narrow roads to get around the area.....proved to make my leaving after tasting wine, a somewhat thrilling feat. I impressed myself by being able to maneuver a quad cab truck through a tiny, odd shaped parking lot, and squeeze through two other SUVs, just to be welcomed by a very sharp right turn. All in all though, it's well worth it!





Here is a map for all the wineries in that area: http://www.georgiawine.com/georgia-wine-country-map

After my wine tasting, I headed up the road about 10 minutes to Dick's Creek Falls. It hadn't rained in a little while, so it was not as powerful as it was when I first photographed it about 7 years ago. There were a couple families there swimming in the pools at the top and bottom of the falls, so with shorts and tank top on, I jumped right in.....I absolutely loved every moment of my afternoon.







Made it home yesterday late afternoon, wanting to get home early to get ready for my interview this morning.....hoping and praying it goes well!

No comments:

Post a Comment