Friday, September 10, 2010

Today is your day, You're off to great places

"You're off and away.....

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know
And you are the guy who'll decide where to go..."

***************************************************

I quit.

When she asked me why I had not cleaned her house I replied that she had already hired someone to do this that had been over twice this week. As polite as could be I told her 'with all do respect, I am not your maid'.

This set the tone for the following events.

'You knew these were part of your duties' she firmly said to me. 'I was hired to be your administrative assistant' 'There must be something wrong with your brain' she implied towards me. Oh.....this was it. This was the moment when I could no longer keep my comments inside, as I had done for so long. '....oh, there's something wrong with MY brain? How do you figure?' I asked her. 'Well, I just don't get why you are like this? Always so cold and mean.' 'Did you ever think how I act towards you has anything to do with your constant insults towards me?'

'This isn't working out. I want you to place the ad for your replacement. I don't even want you back next week. And I'll find someone to train the next girl. I just don't want your rudeness to rub off on them.' She was inches from my face, telling me everything she thought was wrong with me. All my faults, and how she'd never been rude to me.

'well, you won't have to worry about that' and I walked back to my 'office' to put my notebook back in my bag. My heart pounding, my hands shaking.

'Are you leaving? I need you to work through the day. You didn't give me a two weeks notice!' I said to her 'Well, you didn't give me one either. You just said you didn't want me back after today.'

'If you leave now I'm not going to pay you for this week.' I reply to her while printing my time sheet up, 'Yes you will. By law you have to pay me for any hours I have worked for you.'

She walked out of the room while I finished packing my work bag, and with her toothbrush in mouth she came back, and I told her as I walked out the door 'I hope you learn to respect your next assistant, and maybe they'll show you the same respect back.' I got in my car, still shaking, and left.

I'm free. I can now pursue bigger and better things in this world.

*****************************************************

"So....
Be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray
or Mordecai Ali Van Allen O'Shea,
You're off to great places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So....get on your way!! "

(thanks Dr. Seuss) ;)

3 comments:

  1. CONGRATS! And I applaud you for not bitch slapping this lady like she truly deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You took the high road & I agree with Dawn completely. Didn't it feel great to finally be free of that bitch?

    Make sure to file for unemployment on Monday.

    ReplyDelete