Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Vacation - Part 2

Sandestin really is an amazing resort. Countless condos, golf courses, pools, and more shopping and restaurants than you will have time to visit while staying. We always make an effort to go to the Acme Oyster Bar for a quick bite and some Ice Cold Abita Beers. This time I finally made the brave effort to try Oysters. They offered a plate of grilled ones, and I figured I could handle them. I know most people eat them raw, but something about a gelatinous glob of sea critter sliding down my throat makes me feel the impulse to gag uncontrollably. Grilled with some parmesan cheese - they were great and the texture wasn't too much for me to handle, but I sat back and watched Rob as he slurped down a plate of raw ones....




I honestly hate to think about how many calories we consumed in just one short week. We are both foodies. I absolutely love eating and eating just about anything that sounds good to me. I'm not one to easily avoid cravings either. We met up with some friends of ours from our Corvette Forum for dinner one night at a place called Stinky's - just off 30A. I gave into my carbohydrate temptations and ordered a Crawfish Pie. Oh how I wish I took pics of this marvelous heart attack in a dish. A cheesy cream sauce with tons of little crawfish in a nice flaky crust. I'd go back again solely for this meal. For dessert we ordered the Peanut Butter Pie. Ever since falling deeply in love with the thick peanut butter pie at the Big Bad Wolf (a little local restaurant here in Mt Juliet) I've become obsessed with it, and order it whenever it's an option. So far I'm yet to find one that compares. But don't get me wrong - Stinky's Peanut Butter pie was rich and creamy, and even now I'm longing for a slice.

Another Day we went to Dewey Destins - a little shack off a dirt road (literally) situated on a pier. We got there at just the right time too. Although not able to get a table on the singlewide pier, we at least got a table! People were lined up to get their orders placed. Fresh Mahi, Grouper, Redfish, Shrimp - you name it, they had it. I actually did try to eat healthy towards the end of the trip. I could feel all those fat grams piling on, so for this particular meal, I opted for grilled Mahi with corn on the cob. Rob however gave in to the temptation and ordered shrimp, stuffed with crab, wrapped in bacon, and then deep fried. Holy mother of trout was this awesome. This will be what I order the next time around!

I think one of our favorite meals was actually one of the least expensive. We went to the Back Porch - the one in Destin that is right on the beach. I'd love to have gone here in my swimsuit. With a bar right on the beach, and plenty of chairs, you don't even need to eat to enjoy it here. We sat with an open window right next to us, with the fresh sea breeze to keep us company as we watched the surfers out on the waves. Now - I'm a sucker for Nachos. Especially when I get to a place that offers Seafood Nachos. Shrimp, and Scallops on a plate of warm tortilla chips smothered with cheese and jalapenos. Yes....this has to be healthy. To top that meal off we ordered the cake with the name 'Hello Sunshine'. Hello Heaven! Now this....I MUST learn to make this. A moist three layer orange cake with a creamy orange frosting and a layer of miniature white chocolate chips on the outermost layer of frosting. This tasted just like a creamsicle. I would like to have ordered an entire cake just for myself. As soon as I locate a similar recipe - I'll be sure to post it up. You need to try it.



I also cannot forget about our 'in' dinner. We planned to not eat out near as often as we did, but we did manage to stay in and cook dinner one night. Good to know we got some use out of the kitchen in our condo (more than just using the oven to reheat the fried pies from Peach Park for a late night snack). Our first vacation down to Sandestin together, we had only been going out for a few months. Rob made his infamous shrimp dish, and I made a tomato pie. We hadn't made either since then, so we went all out for it this time around. I don't know what all Rob puts in his shrimp dish, but it's a semi hot and spicy cajun taste. With a little french bread to soak up the juice, you'll be in good shape. Me, I'm a tomato pie junky. So easy to make (and for the recipe, just google 'Paula Deen Tomato Pie' and don't skimp and use fat free cheeses or mayo - trust me on this one).







Maybe on Part 3 I can get away from the food...... :D

No comments:

Post a Comment