Monday, June 14, 2010

Real Estate Agents

My apologies to those of you who are. I'm not an agent, I just work for them. For an accumulated 5 years I've worked for them. The good, the bad, and the stupid.

You want everyone to take you seriously......to treat you in a manner that you are not only smarter than them, but on a higher rung of the ladder. You are not. Well....most of you. Some of the agents are good. They really are smart as a tack, and a very rare few also carry a diminishing trait of common sense. This does not usually apply to the ones who use their car as a rolling billboard. Nothing like seeing a brand new $70,000 Escalade with some old broad's face plastered down the entire side of it. This is why I could never be an agent. I actually have common sense. I can use a computer, my smart phone, and not be late to every single appointment I get.

At 29 I work for less money than I have earned in at least the last 10 years. Thank you recession for this. Not only do I not make enough to buy myself a reliable vehicle, but I get treated like an absolute moron, despite how long I've been doing this. You ask me to spell the most basic words for you, handle all your closings, listings, photos, but yet you made 30k more than I did last month. This seems fair.

And nothing like looking at other property listings. I'll pull up the photos. One photo. One blurry exterior shot of a house they are asking over $300k for and it looks like they took the pic with a 5 year old cell phone - at night. Brilliant. You must get lots of showings.

Or, take the agent who posts up the necessary 20 photos, but they are all 1" x 3" big (or should I say small). I'm all for resizing, but let's take the effort to double check that we didn't just go a little crazy and make them microscopic. It's not rocket science people.

And one of my favorites is agent voicemail messages. Anything from a fresh newly recorded message each day with the weather and their newest listing, to the hermit of an agent who doesn't even know how to setup voicemail, so when you hear, 'you've just reached 615-000-0000', in that robot voice, you wonder if you are even leaving a message for them.

I love working in Real Estate, I really do. Some days I'm just in absolute awe of how people function. How they get through life on a day to day basis if they already can't do the most simple of tasks. But I guess that's why there's people like me. Lowly, underpaid, and overwork geniuses in disguise (aka, assistants).....waiting for our moment to bloom. Happy Monday. :)

1 comment:

  1. And here I was thinking that you were independently wealthy...

    ReplyDelete