Thursday, August 2, 2012

Saying Goodbye

This is probably the most difficult post I will ever write. But I know I won't be able to write it after this.

2 days.....it's really hard to set a time limit on how much time you have left with someone. Even if that someone is a dog.

An old, blind, deaf dog. One that I've shared my life with for nearly 14 years now. I was 17 years old when I brought home a tiny wrinkly hairless pup. Before the movies and TV really made this breed known. Dora Winefred - soon to be known as Dizzy Dora once she grew and her personality proved she could spin in more circles on the floor, than I could on the ice.

We went to the lake. Went went hiking. We went off-roading in the jeep, camping in the woods, jetskiing across the lake. For a 12 pound dog, she's done a lot. But even the adventurous age, they grow old.....their bodies grow weak and parts fail.

We have done what we could to keep her comfortable, but there's little else we can do. Except make the hardest decision that a pet owner can face. Two days.......they will prove to be the longest, and the shortest two days I've had to endure in my life so far. As much as we've tried to prepare ourselves, we realize that you can never full prepare for this moment.

I love you Dora Winefred. I love you more than anything......I always will.

xoxo












3 comments:

  1. OMG :*( my heart is broken for you! my prayers & heart are with you during this difficult time. i honestly can't even imagine :( please give Dora kisses & love from me, Bella & Osker <3 i am so sorry to hear this news, Jodi! as hard as it is, you are doing what you know is best for her & keeping her from pain & suffering, you are a good mom to put her first! if anyone knows about loving a dog like it's your child, you know its me! may God be with you all during this!
    <3 Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. No platitudes, just love and hugs. My heart aches for you, Jodi.

    Aunt Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry, sweetie. I'm sitting here crying for you just reading your words. Hugs


    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete