Monday, November 8, 2010

Aunt Bunny's Tree

Back in October when we went to my Grandparent's house in North Georgia, my Grandpa (mom's dad) handed something down to me. It was a ceramic tree that his sister had made back in the 60's. Aunt Bunny and I clicked right away when I fist met her, back when I was about 10 years old. She owned a Llama farm in Sedro Wooley, Washington and she became my 'fax pal'. We'd write every couple weeks and when she and my Great-Uncle traveled, she was always sure to send me a postcard from their destinations. 19 years later, I still have all her letters.

She passed away some years back after having two strokes.

This tree was something special that everyone in the family grew up with as a Christmas decoration.....when Grandpa pulled it out for me to see for the first time, half of it was shattered.

I consider this mine and Aunt Bunny's little project. Since I brought it home, it's had a little bit of work done to it - so that it can be enjoyed for many more generations.

Here's what it looked like after I'd pieced together most of the parts that had broken off. Only about 1/3 of the tree was still intact with no cracks.


All together.




I used spackle to fill in a few small holes, and to smooth over the cracks. Then I sanded it down.



It took me a while to find a paint color that matched what she had painted it all those years ago. The glitter that she had on there was browned and dingy from all the years. I contemplated for a while whether to leave it, or redo it, so that it can once again be displayed again. I sanded off what I could of the old glue and glitter, but made sure to leave enough there so that I could 're-glitter' it in the same lines that she had. (sorry for the bad garage lighting)


I was so scared to do this, but I'm so glad I did. It turned out so wonderful.



I was even able to still find plain white glitter - just like what she used.


Hope you like it Aunt Bunny. I enjoyed 'our' little project.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Nice job! You are not going to believe this but I have the same exact tree in green. I made it in ceramics class when I was a kid. My buddy Tom's(he is still one of my best friends) mom gave these ceramics classes...had a kiln down in the basement. I gave the tree to my Mom when I finished it, and it always ended up out on a table in the house during the season. Since my Mom passed, I got the tree. It has a little wind up music box in it too, along with the light. Now that I am single, quite often it is my only Christmas decoration....and I'm just fine with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodi, you did such a great job! Aunt Bunny would be pleased. I'm so glad you got it, you will obviously love it, the way it should be. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job! It looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete